Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fore! - Entry #13


Last week I reached a milestone—I have surpassed over 10% of my goal of sending out a letter/notecard every day for one year.  So far, I have mailed 42 pieces of correspondence.  Time goes by fast when you’re having fun… or is it as you grow older…or is it both?

This past week has a hodgepodge of cards.  Two were sent to the graduate students that for the Spring 2012 semester wrote our 2012 Student Affairs Job Hunt blog.  They shared their experiences—the high’s, the low’s--as they searched for their first professional position in the student personnel field.  I am glad to report that both were successful in the job hunt process.  I wanted to, first, congratulate them, but to also thank them for sharing their exploits, their feelings and, most importantly, their advice for others that will one day be looking for a position in student affairs.  This is the 7th year that graduate students have been staffing the StudentAffairs.com job hunt blog.  Their insights, joys, heartbreaks, and successes have entertained as well as informed hundreds, maybe thousands of people over the years.  Note to self—track down all the previous bloggers to inquire what they are now doing.  Maybe start a reunion or where-are-they-now blog.

The majority of cards I mailed were related to golf.  I am a golf fanatic.  I love being outside for a few hours, walking the green courses, and soaking up the tranquility of the surroundings.  I try to get out to a local course 3-4 times a week, usually having time for just nine holes.  Before the night sky darkens I might be out on the putting green practicing my 2-3 foot putts.  After work I occasionally drop by the driving range to work on my assorted wedges.  Last week I finally figured out why my drives were slicing.  Golf is one of the most mentally challenging sports you can play.   Anyone who participates can tell you your focus must be right on for every shot.  My confidence level and shot making ability is at a point where I am usually self-assured, in a modest and humble manner (so as not to offend the golf gods), that I can break 100 for 18 holes.  So, what does The Writing Project have to do with golf?

I wanted to thank two of the professional staff members from my hometown course for keeping the golf course so well-maintained.  The fairways are green throughout their length, mowed to a consistent level, and devoid of brown patches and dead grass.  The first cut rough is demanding without being overbearing, and the putting greens are rolled to a challenging, but not overly difficulty consistency.  My friends and I play a number of courses in the area and none are as nicely manicured as our home 18, which consistently ranks as one of the best public golf courses in Connecticut.  I wanted those individuals responsibility for its upkeep to know their hard work and long hours are applauded. 

One of the other pros on staff, who seems to regularly be assigned the early morning shift at the check-in counter, always welcomes me by name and with a hearty hello.  It makes me feel like one of the barflies from the television show, “Cheers,” where everyone knows your name.  In today’s, sometimes impersonal, world where logins and passwords and electronic devices rule the day I truly value this small act of name recognition.  It makes me feel like I am part of a community and appreciated as an individual rather then just a member of a faceless foursome ready to tee off.

No comments:

Post a Comment